If Buy-to-let is that easy, why aren't more people doing it?
The King of Buy-to-Let, Fergus Wilson, recently made a statement “anyone with half a brain could do buy-to-let”. I do strongly believe that more people could do it. But at the same time, it can be hard work. I bought my first Buy-to-let at the age of 20. I was in a fortunate position; my mother had been in the Buy-to-let business for many years so I was able to learn from her and she gave me the confidence to give it a go. If it weren’t for my mother I would never have considered owning a Buy-to-let property. I have spoken to many people outside the industry and the idea of owning a Buy-to-let property scares them. They have concerns over not being able to find tenants, rent not being paid and they can’t see how they can manage the property whilst having a full time job. I’ve proved myself that as long as you have the right property, in the right place you can manage a property effectively, to a high standard whilst working full time. So why don’t more people invest in Buy-to-let? Perhaps it comes down to lack of knowledge and lack of confidence? Rather than lack of intelligence?
Obviously a big barrier is having the capital and being able to obtain a mortgage and this is really where I see CrowdLords coming in. So if CrowdLords can provide the finance and access to more people, I wonder whether we can overcome the lack of understanding over what being a landlord entails so that more people can benefit.
I have many friends who have been saving for a home for 8 years or so and they still don’t have enough for a deposit. Most of them really wish they had done what I had, and put their savings into a Buy-to-let property as soon as they had the chance. But it's not too late. I am certain they'll be the first to become LandLords or Investors on the CrowdLords platform. If not, I'll definitely be telling them they have half a brain.
To read more from the King of Buy-to-let, Fergus Wilson visit the Financial Times.
- Is post-war property a good investment?
- Can post-coronavirus unused office space resolve a nation's housing crisis?
- Are you an optimist or a pessimist in Property Crowdfunding?
- Need a hand with puzzling alternative finance jargon?
- Seven myths and one truth about Property Crowdfunding
- Understanding Loan to Value (LTV) - Part II
- Understanding Loan to Value (LTV) - Part I
- Construction workers given the green light to work despite the Coronavirus pandemic
- Is Coronavirus likely to slow down growth in the UK's property market?
- How the decline of UK's High Streets is opening the way for UK property developers
- Who should you turn to for investment advice before Property Crowdfunding?
- Is property crowdfunding a viable way to get onto the property ladder these days?
- The importance of liquidity in your investment portfolio
- FCA guidance changes ring in the new year
- Gender stereotypes in Alternative Finance; are women playing catch-up?
- How does CrowdLords compare?
- Brighton Road - Meet the Developer
- Property Crowdfunding; A Global Appeal for UK Platforms?
- Does the future of Property Crowdfunding lie in the hands of Millennials?
- Meet the Developer - Jo Hagan (5 Mentmore Terrace)