Birmingham Big City Plan – Eclectic architecture for the City’s makeover
Birmingham Curzon Street HS2 Station
The Curzon Street is one of the world’s oldest terminus, and it’s about time it got an upgrade. Planning was recently approved for the upgraded terminal. In addition to the new terminal, the surrounding areas are also being upgraded:
- 366,000 sqm of office space
- 98,000 sqm of retail outlets
- 57,000 sqm of hotel accommodation
- 79,000 sqm of community and leisure use
- 167,000 sqm of residential accommodation, including student housing
Designed to meet Birmingham’s growing demand for high quality office space and city centre residential accommodation, the vision for the site is to create a vibrant, class-leading development, set around a unique and innovative public realm. Arena Central forms a significant part of the city’s vision for regeneration, as laid out in the Big City Plan and is situated in Birmingham’s city centre Enterprise Zone which offers simplified planning and reduced business rates. The new space will consist of:
- 62,000 sqm of office space
- 50,000 sqm of residential accommodation
- Public and leisure space, including soft landscaping
The New Street Station benefited from a £650 million budget, and was completed in 2015. This station is in the heart of the City Centre. The revamped station:
- Is 5 times larger than the previous station
- Includes a domed atrium to allow as much natural light in
- Has refurbished platforms and station facilities
- Is prepared to handle the growing commuter population
The Library of Birmingham is one of the UK's most striking public buildings. The library has been upgraded to give it a very modern look, and they've made sure that it has all the facilities to keep the library relevant in the digital age. Some of the features of the library include:
- State of the art gallery space
- Home to the BFI Mediatheque, which provides free access to the national film archive
- A studio theatre
- An outdoor theatre
- International access to resources
- Is post-war property a good investment?
- Can post-coronavirus unused office space resolve a nation's housing crisis?
- Are you an optimist or a pessimist in Property Crowdfunding?
- Need a hand with puzzling alternative finance jargon?
- Seven myths and one truth about Property Crowdfunding
- Understanding Loan to Value (LTV) - Part II
- Understanding Loan to Value (LTV) - Part I
- Construction workers given the green light to work despite the Coronavirus pandemic
- Is Coronavirus likely to slow down growth in the UK's property market?
- How the decline of UK's High Streets is opening the way for UK property developers
- Who should you turn to for investment advice before Property Crowdfunding?
- Is property crowdfunding a viable way to get onto the property ladder these days?
- The importance of liquidity in your investment portfolio
- FCA guidance changes ring in the new year
- Gender stereotypes in Alternative Finance; are women playing catch-up?
- How does CrowdLords compare?
- Brighton Road - Meet the Developer
- Property Crowdfunding; A Global Appeal for UK Platforms?
- Does the future of Property Crowdfunding lie in the hands of Millennials?
- Meet the Developer - Jo Hagan (5 Mentmore Terrace)